If you have a job where you frequently come into contact with paper money, you are probably going to want to stock up on antibacterial hand sanitizers after reading this article. Tons of germs are carried on our cash. A team of researchers at New York University recently conducted an experiment studying what lives on our money. They found 3,000 types of bacteria on $1 bills collected from around the city. “A body temperature wallet is a petri dist” pronounced Philippe Etienne, handling executive of Innovia Security Pty Ltd.
Among the organisms found were:
- Acinetobacter species – causes antibiotic-resistant infections
- Staphylococcus aureus – causes food-borne illness
- Bacillus cereus – causes diarrhea, urinary tract infections and other illnesses
- Helicobacter pylori – linked to gastric ulcers
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae- causes diphtheria
Also found on the money was a large amount of DNA from humans, horses, dogs and even a dash of white Rhino DNA. How did that get on there?
So how do you combat these germs? Through practicing proper hand hygiene skills and supplement hand washing with sanitizers. Brush up on proper hand washing skills here. Need to stock up on hand sanitizers? Buy them online at our ecommerce website.