Majority of mops wear out from abuse, not use. There are a few simple maintenance procedures you can follow that will extend the life and improve efficiency in your mops:
- Break in new mop heads by soaking them in a warm, mild detergent for at least twenty minutes. (Pre-laundered mops are ready to use)
- Avoid scrubbing with the top portion of the mop, this tears strands and shortens the mops life.
- Avoid strong cleaning solutions (lye, bleach, caustics) that break down strands more quickly.
- When mopping a rough surface, mop in the direction that minimizes snagging.
- Cut off any loose strands to prevent snagging and splattering.
- Rinse and wring out mops after each use.
- Store mops with the strands hanging down in a warm, dry and well-circulated area.
- Discard and replace worn out mop heads.